The digital age
Compare the text with the pistures
1- In education, computers can make all the diference_____
2-Using a cashpoint, or ATM_____
3-The internet in your pockket_____
4 controlling Air Traffic___
How are computers used in the situations above?
The DIGITAL AGE
READ THE TEST
We are now living in what some people call the
digital age, meaning that computers have become
an essential part of our lives. Young people who
have grown up with PCs and mobile phones are
5 often called the digital generation. Computers help
students to perform mathematical operations
and improve their maths skills. They are used to
access the Internet, to do basic research and to
communicate with other students around the world,
io Teachers use projectors and interactive whiteboards
to give presentations and teach sciences, history or
language courses. PCs are also used for administrative
purposes – schools use word processors to write
letters, and databases to keep records of students
15 and teachers. A school website allows teachers to
publish exercises for students to complete online.
Students can also enrol for courses via the website
and parents can download official reports.
Mobiles let you make voice calls, send texts,
20 email people and download logos, ringtones or
games. With a built-in camera you can send pictures
and make video calls in face-to-face mode. New
smartphones combine a telephone with web access,
video, a games console, an MP3 player, a personal
25 digital assistant (PDA) and a GPS navigation system,
all in one.
In banks, computers store information about the
money held by each customer and enable staff to
access large databases and to carry out financial
30 transactions at high speed.They also control the
cashpoints, or ATMs (automatic teller machines),
which dispense money to customers by the use
of a PIN-protected card. People use a Chip and-PIN
card to pay for goods and services. Instead of using a
35 signature to verify payments, customers are asked to
enter a four-digit personal identification number
(PIN), the same number used at cashpoints; this
- system makes transactions more secure. With online
banking, clients can easily pay bills and transfer
40 money from the comfort of their homes.
Airline pilots use computers to help them control
the plane. For example, monitors display data
about fuel consumption and weather conditions.
- In airport control towers, computers are used to
45 manage radar systems and regulate air traffic. On
the ground, airlines are connected to travel agencies
B by computer.Travel agents use computers to find
out about the availability of flights, prices, times,
stopovers and many other details.
There are eight major parts of speech.
- Nouns name persons, places, things, ideas, or qualities, e.g., Franklin, boy, Yangtze River, shoreline, Bible, desk, fear, happiness.
- Pronouns usually substitute for nouns and function as nouns, e.g., I, you, he, she, it, we, they, myself, this, that, who, which, everyone.
- Verbs express actions, occurrences, or states of being, e.g., be, become, bunt, inflate, run.
- Adjectives describe or modify nouns or pronouns, e.g., gentle, helpful, small.
- Adverbs describe or modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs, e.g., almost, gently, helpfully, someday.
- Prepositions relate nouns or pronouns to other words in a sentence, e.g., about, at, down, for, of, with.
- Conjunctions link words, clauses, and phrases. There are coordinating conjunctions that link words, clauses, or phrases of equal importance, and there are subordinating conjunctions that introduce subordinate clauses and link them to main clauses.
- Interjections express feeling or command attention, either alone or in a sentence, e.g., darn, hey, oh, wow.
Match the words (1 -10) with the correct meanings (a-j).
g collection of facts or figures……………………………..
h describes information that is recorded or
broadcast using computers………………………..
i program used for text manipulation………………………………..
j copy files from a server to your PC or mobile
Discuss these questions in our chat group.
How are/were computers used in your school?
How do you think computers will be used in school in the future?